Firstly, I’ve had quite a few updates on the Friends & Faux project over the last week or so, which I have thus far failed to update here on the blog. Bear with me, I will be caught up soon! In the meantime, I just wanted to share a couple of projects I’ve recently been playing with…
A couple of weeks ago, I helped out a new friend (illustrator & comic artist Sally Jane Thompson) with a comic & bookmaking event. The event was held as part of a local ‘celebration of drawing’ called the Big Draw, which sees events held across the city, with the aim to get as many people drawing as possible.
(If you have access to A4 paper, there’s a short booklet you can print to celebrate the celebration!)
Now, I am really not much of an artist, but in the spirit of the day, I decided to doodle some doodles, while I was helping out the kids – just to show that you really don’t need to be able to draw to actually draw something. If you see what I mean! I had pre-printed some mini-zine templates (which I have just added to the mini-zine freebie page – enjoy!) because I thought some people may find a completely blank page slightly daunting. I personally definitely found it easier to start drawing when I had a manageable-sized space before me! This is what I doodled on the day:
I started with the ‘flowers’ in the lower left corner, then worked my way around anti-clockwise. I stumbled upon zentangling about a year ago, but despite being quite enthused about it at the time, I never really got into it. I really enjoyed my afternoon of doodling, though, and am definitely going to finish off what I began. This morning, I discovered a nice blog, the Open Seed, which has inspired me to try my hand at a couple of new patterns, and reminded me that I really need to get going with completing the above!
The other current work in progress I wanted to mention began in a supermarket. No, really, it did! I fell in love with a multipack of Dorset Cereals muesli boxes, and had to have them, despite not having a clue what to use them for, at the time. I banned Corey from opening them, so that he didn’t ruin the boxes in the meantime, of course (I’ve since emptied the mini packets out into a single ‘lucky dip’ muesli mix). It was soon quite self-evident that what these boxes really wanted to be was notebooks, so after a quick glance through my craft library for ideas, I was ready to play:
I chose Japanese stab stitch for the binding, then proceeded to execute a very non-thorough job of researching! As a result of my lack of planning: you can see that the stitching is very unevenly spaced, because I didn’t stop to think about measuring etc; I couldn’t have as many pages inside as I wanted, because I only had a pushpin to hand rather than a bookbinder’s awl; and I also didn’t leave a wide enough margin on the lined pages I printed off for the inside. But overall, I’m really pleased with how it turned out, and I definitely plan to make some more – after a little spot of fine-tuning! Lucky I like learning by trial and error (and lucky I like alliteration). 😉
Other things I like about this project: I like the ‘hemp leaf’ stitch pattern, which I thought complemented the leaf design of the cereal packet nicely; and I like the little pocket that I made on the inside front cover, by folding in some of the box flaps (I cut most of the flaps off). I also love that there is a recipe for making lemonade on the back cover, although I can’t take any credit for that! 😉 Once I’ve played around with the idea a little more, I’ll probably write a tutorial; but if you want to experiment in the meantime, this is a good place to get started.