Okay, so I woke up this morning, on the first of a few days off. I’ve been looking forward to catching up on all the things I’ve been talking about getting around to. But this morning, when I woke up, I had an unprecedented urge to sew something. Me! Sewing machines scare the life out of me, & I’ve not sewn anything since a badly appliqued sewing case when I was 9! Oh, and I attempted to sew up a hole in a jumper on request of an ex-boyfriend who didn’t understand the difference between sewing and embroidery.
Well, I have been being seduced lately by the fantastic books of cuteness by Aranzi Aronzo, the fabulous ‘Stray Sock Sewing’, and the weirdly cool ‘Plush-o-Rama’. Every time I look at these pattern books, I think, ‘That looks easy; surely I could do that’; so I guess my inner self decided it was time I put myself to the test.
I was up very early, very twitchy to do something. But I decided that I needed felt, and dried beans to fill whatever I made, so I dashed out to the shops, and got there before they were even open. In the end I got some moong beans, but had a flash of ‘insight’ that suggested I already had some felt at home. Turned out I was wrong. Well, I was itching to get on with something. I’m not a fabric addict (threads & yarns, that’s another story) so I didn’t have any interesting oddments to use up. What I do have, however, is LOTS of old clothes, many of which are either too big or too small. One quick rummage later, and I was finally ready to begin.
I cut 2 very rough squares of fabric, approx. 4″ square. I used 1 plain t-shirt, and 1 patterned. I pinned them together around the edges, with the right side facing inwards. Oh, before I pinned them, I sewed 2 buttons and stitched a nose/mouth (randomly positioned) onto the right side of the plain fabric.
This was just a trial for me, so I didn’t want to copy a pattern from a book or online. And I certainly didn’t want to bother with fiddly things like tracing, and cutting paper patterns! I decided just to (running) stitch a fairly random outline, within the pinned border of the fabric. It turned out slightly more random than anticipated, but I was fine with that. I remembered not to sew it closed, and turned it inside out (after trimming off the excess fabric to 0.5cm outside my stitches). I then poured as many moong beans onto the kitchen counter as I did inside the ‘thing’. I slip-stitched the hole closed, et voila – my very first hand-sewn Mis-shape (‘It’s a mis-shape with ears’, as my husband said when he saw it).
I think he’s very cute. More will have to follow. I can’t believe that suddenly I want to sew…
(N.B. I promise that the beautifully centred pattern on the back is purely accidental!)